Saturday 23 July 2011

My Wyn

My Wyn

At last, my first blog entry!!!  All I needed to start was the inspiration from a farm called “My Wyn”.  The farm is situated in Franschhoek near Charmonix and Dieu Done. The narrow cobble road to the top make you think one of two thing…this is going to be AMAZING or this is going to be..well let’s call it not so good. 

As me and my husband reach the top, he told me that we can’t be at the right place because this looks like a house and definitely not a tasting room!  Just then one of the workers waved at us and told us to pull in, right in front of the garage…WOW! Then we were greeted by Johan and his dogs.  The view were wonderful and when Johan took us into their private little cellar and started to explain to us that his wife, Jacoline, makes all the wines herself and that they only use the old fashion way to make their wine and sparkling wine I got really exited!!

Cobble road on your way to My Wyn


We sat down at a table outside and started our tasting! 

We started of with the “My Wyn Sauviognier 2009” As you swirl the glass you get lemon-lime flavors and geen pepper on the nose. I thought to myself this is the perfect blend of Sauvignon Blanc and Viognier, crispy and fruity on the palate with a golden color because it was barrel fermented and matured for 11 months in French oak barrels. OK now I am even more exited!!

On to number two “My Wyn Sauviognier 2010” I Loved the first one but as soon as I Tasted this wine I was in love with it.  Jacoline added a bit of Semillon to this blend. On the nose you got pear and peach and a good hint of vanilla with some citrus fruits. On the palate it was complex but beautifully balanced and soft. PERFECT! Before I forget this wine was also barrel fermented for 9 months in French oak barrels.

Number three, and I wonder to myself if this can get any better? “My Wyn Viognier 2010” It CAN!! The Viognier 2010 had the same pear and peach with extra vanilla aromas on the nose but there were definitely  something floral to it as well! Lovely golden color and this 9 month barrel fermented wine is incredible on the palate.
My Wyn Cellar

On to the red, by this time Jacoline just came back from a 30km run, took a shower and now she is taking over the tasting. First up for the reds is “My Wyn Shiraz 2009” This is a special wine. The grapes goes through a 21 day maceration in open 500L Barrels.  Then 2/3 goes into French oak barrels and 1/3 in American oak barrel for a 20 month barrel maturation.  As Jacoline pour the wine into the glass you can’t miss the deep rich plum color of the wine. on the nose you get layers of wild berry, violets and spices.  This is NOW one of  my favorite Shiraz..I don’t really have words to describe, if you are a Shiraz lover this should go on your Bucket list!

The next two wines we tasted was “My Wyn Cabernet Franc 2009” and “My Wyn Petit Verdot 2009”  If you are one for pure form of these cultivars then you don’t want to miss either one of these wines!  Both Grapes had 21 days maceration in open 500L barrels. The Cab Franc were matured in French oak barrels for 24 months and the Petit Verdot for only 20 months.  The Cab Franc had lots of dark berry on the nose as well as on the palate. The Petit Verdot  on the other hand was a bit more complex for me with ripe fruit and choc mint on the nose, very smooth and easy to drink.  Both were excellent but for me the Petit Verdot was extra special!


Last on the list of red wines was the “My Wyn Merlot 2009” I am not the biggest Merlot drinker of all time but for me this 24 month matured Merlot, had  cherries and plum on the nose and for a moment there I almost thought this was a Shiraz, but as soon as you taste the wine you know what you know. Great Merlot because I could finish my glass J

Beautiful view and some GREAT wine to add to the collection


Yes, and so the journey continues..and we tasted “My Amber 2010” a White dessert wine witch is 100% Viognier fortified with 3year old KWV brandy.  Not to sweet with all the fruitiness of the Viognier.  After this we also tasted “My Robyn 2008” witch is a ruby style port, from 80% Cabernet Sauvignon an 20% Cab Franc, Shiraz and Viognier grapes. Also fortified with KWV 3year old Brandy and matured for 12 months.  I can see myself enjoying a sip of this by the fireplace every winters night.  

And then, like they say…”save the best. for last” came the “My MCC 2008” This Brut Sparkling wine  consisting of 80% Chardonnay and 20% Pinot Noir and never in the process they made use of any steal containers, they ONLY use the barrel, the bottel and a metal cap before they cork it. This was FANTASTIC!!!!

What a wonderful tasting experience we had, beautiful views, lovely people and some of the best wine I have ever tasted! “My Wyn” was AMAZING!!!

Farewell My Wyn


1 comment: